Friday, March 27, 2009

An Incredible Day

This has truly been one of the most incredible days of my life.

Today was my last meeting as Chair of the Citizen's Advisory Committee (CAC) at the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center. I've been chair for 4 years, as was my dad in the late 1980's and early 1990's.

This group is the oldest volunteer board at the Cancer enter. We're the grassroots arm of the Cancer Center, and our mission is to be ambassadors for Duke and raise awareness of the wonderful things happening at Duke in the fight against cancer.

I was honored by the things that were said about me and my contributions to Duke at this meeting. It truly has been my honor and privilege to have been associated with this incredible group of people. And I will continue to stay on as a member of the CAC in the years to come!

They gave me a beautiful Duke Medicine chair with an engraved plaque on the back that I have in my study. It will be one of my treasures.

We've made such great progress in our quest to find effective therapies that will make the fear of a cancer diagnosis a thing of the past. It's awe-inspiring to hear of the research being done and care being given by these physicians at Duke. Read more at http://cancer.duke.edu.

No comments: